12.08.2008

Back Again

        If it’s true that I’m my own boss I really should have fired my ass at this whole blogging thing by now. A span of over two months with nary a peep is completely unacceptable. But you know what? I’m the boss of this here blog and since I’ve been a little busy I’m going to give myself another chance.

“Busy with what?”, you may ask. Well, since you may have asked, I’ve been filling my days with:
  • moving into the new apartment 
  • planning a wedding (actually 1 wedding & 2 receptions)
  • race directing the Fall Fling (even raced a stage)
  • a trip to Phoenix (bridal shower #2)
  • ran a Cannonball Film Festival at the Studio (sooooo awesome)
  • negotiating with riders for the 2009 ABD Elite roster (can’t wait to announce this)
  • negotiating sponsorships in a down economy (our industry sponsors are stepping up big)
  • playing catch-up after being hired back at ABD full-time (happy to be back in the bosom of my cycling family)
  • trip to Chicago (PPC, ABD and other various meetings)
  • and did I mention helping to plan a wedding? (I can’t really even take that much credit as Rosa is rocking away at planning the majority of this party)

        So now I’m on a plane back to Burbank and I have to admit there are things going on in here that reinforce while LA is a special place. I can see two people on their laptops typing away in Final Draft on what could be the next great indie flick or summer blockbuster. There’s a tattoo artist on a laptop working on his website. Another guy appears to be running some music mixing program, and then I know I’ve seen the tall redhead sitting behind me in a movie. Los Angeles is definitely the land of dreams.

        But having said all that about LA, I can definitely identify with something Christian Vandevelde said last night during his appearance at the ICA awards banquet. Steve Thordarson, founder of SmartCycling and my first coach, asked Christian what kept him grounded through all the ups and downs of his career. Christian said, “I just remember who I am and where I came from. That’s one of the main reasons I moved back to Chicago”. No doubt about it, Chicago is good people.

No comments: