8.16.2008

Racing Bikes Is Fun!

(posted by handheld- sorry for any eggregious spelling or gramat errors)

Although it's been waaayyy too long since I've dropped in an update,
I'll try and not bore anyone with the details of my tardiness.
Suffice it to say I'm still working for ABD and the ABD/Geargrinder
team, working for Carter Thor Studio, riding my bike to work and any
other time I can, and oh yeah, getting married in about 4.5 months AND
looking for a new apartment. The last one has actually been the most
consuming thing of the past few weeks. The night we got the letter
from the landlord that he was raising the rent (again) we started
driving around looking at places. We're narrowing in on what we
want/need/can afford and hopefully we can check that whole moving
thing off the list soon. After almost 4 years in a 525 sq. foot
apartment, we're anxious to go bigger and add bedroom #2 for an
office/guest room for all the family and bike riders we love having
stop in. The extra space will certainly give us a little breathing
room with so much going on right now, and it seems like the only time
I get any solid workouts in anymore are when a teammate stops in to
whip me into shape.

And speaking of getting whipped... back to the bike racing.

While back in the Midwest last weekend for a sweet double ABD/Family
bridal shower, I decided to join the ABD/GG boys up at the Glencoe
Grand Prix. Nothing helps you sweat out two nights of eating and
drinking like some good old fashion suffering. Contrary to what my
scientifically minded current and former teammates think, I do believe
I'm capable of putting the suffer meter on 11 every once in a while.
And seeing as how my weekly training volume is under 6 hours right now
(I won't admit just how far under 6), racing against a bunch of dudes
fresh off 1,000 laps of Superweek certainly meant I would suffer...
And I did.

But it really wasn't too bad. There were a few laps where I was
further up on the nose of my saddle than I've been in the past five
years, but once the break was established it was business as usual and
I had fun rolling along with the guys, doing our best to keep it all
together until our riders lapped. The only thing that comes close to
the satisfaction of winning a bike race is the satisfaction of playing
a part in a well-executed strategy. That's why see guys like
Cancallara and O'Grady just slaying themselves in the Tour for their
leader, because if they do their job for the day then they can go to
bed happy men. And if their man takes the lead, then they cam take
pride in that and take a bit of prize money to boot.

Now I'm not saying we were anywhere close to Canca and Stuey, but the
team did a great job of executing the plan and keeping control of the
race. It was almost so much fun I forgot about the pain.

No comments: