8.20.2008

Northbound

Yesterday, Farrell and I began our great trip North in what is my
first self-supported touring ride. El presidente (mike) flew in Monday
night, and Tuesday morning we loaded up our seatpost mounted racks and
hit the road for a three day trip taking us from Glendale to Ojai,
Ojai to Santa Ynez, and then Santa Ynez to Morro Bay where Rosa will
meet us before we drive the rest of the way to San Francisco for the
start of our Trek Travel coastal trip.

The original plan called forjuw to ride all the way from LA to San
Francisco (a trip of about 450 mles) but due to time constraints we
just cut it to a 3-dayer with anywhere from 75 to 90 miles a day. I
kind of thought we were being slackers with only that much riding- but
the terrain is pretty tough here and that extra 20 lbs of weight (rack
+ clothing) makes a big difference. We averaged 15mph the first day,
which considering the mountains and 30 mile headwind section, I'm ok
with. Today's mountians are a little bigger, but we get a long coastal
section, which will be a much needed repreive from the heat of our
inland ride yesterday.

I'll try and send some pics during the day if I have some decent cell
phone reception.

5 comments:

ADIG said...

Hey Mike - Let me know when you are in SF and if you have time to catch up.

you still have my Gmail account?

Anonymous said...

Eat at Trattoria Grappolo in Santa Ynez. Thank me later.

Ebert said...

Hey Angelo! Unfortunately I don't have your gmail address on my phone (what I'm going all this out on). Shoot me a note at ebert@abdcycling.com though.

Thanks for the tip, Steve! We ended up at Angelica's last night- but we might be around another night-- check the next post for more details.

Ebert said...

Hey Angelo! Unfortunately I don't have your gmail address on my phone (what I'm going all this out on). Shoot me a note at ebert@abdcycling.com though.

Thanks for the tip, Steve! We ended up at Angelica's last night- but we might be around another night-- check the next post for more details.

Ben Raby said...

Have good trip, make sure Farrell isn't 'Fredding' around too much. Missed ya in Downers.