7.29.2008

Why I Ride A Bike

Well, at least this is one reason... 

At the end of the workday I get out the door, make myself hurt, and get to see scenery like this as I head up the "Rock Shop" climb on the Mulholland Highway.

Rosa and I have often discussed/pondered this question: what's to be said about how we cyclists crave the pain we inflict on ourselves- when our goal is the lactic acid burn and sensation of coughing up blood? Are we masochists? Is it like a drug that numbs our brains? 

I wouldn't say I'm a masochist, and in fact might even admit I'm a bit of a wimp... but I do enjoy the way an extended, anaerobic effort seems to have the effect of blowing the cobwebs out of your body and your head.

The reason Rosa and I always talk about it is because the way I love the physical pain is the same we she and other actors love the emotional pain.  She can't understand why I like to do this to myself and I have no clue why someone would want to strip themselves to the emotional core while other people are watching... 

...but maybe it's because we do understand that we work out o.k.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If this is your way of saying you guys are into S&M, thanks for sharing. Your mom reads this dude.