7.24.2007

In God’s Country; Heartland


Those are both U2 songs, and they always pop into my head when driving through the rural Midwest, especially en route to the family farm outside of Wautoma (non-operational farm nowadays). The photo is shot out the driveway.

I joked with my teammates that when I go up there I’m torn between riding my bike all day, sitting in a boat and fishing all day, or doing absolutely nothing all day. After weeks or months in LA or the Chicago Suburbs, I sit out on the porch at the farm overlooking the surrounding farms and forests and soak in the stillness in the air like sun rays.

If I do muster up the motivation to go ride my bike — well, that’s pretty perfect too. I can ride out the door for anywhere from 2 to 5 hours and spend the whole day on lightly-traveled country roads, seeing a stoplight only if I decide to head towards a town (and if the town even has a stoplight!). My biggest challenge is deciding just which way to go.

I lived in the Wautoma area for the first five years of my life and have spent vacations and holidays in the area, and there’s something special about riding the oldest roads in your memory.... maybe it’s just nostalgia, but that’s ok too.

No comments: