9.20.2007

More on Off-Season Shuffling

Wow, the US racing scene is going to have a much different look to it next year.

First up, the programs going bigger:
- Slipstream: so big we might not even see them in the US much, except to take Discovery's place in winning California, Georgia, Missouri.
- BMC: Former Phonak Sugar-Daddy brings his bucks across the pond.
- Toyota United: replacing Harm and Kirk with Moniger and Pettyjohn and signing more Aussies.
- Rock Racing: Major rumors floating around concerning these guys. I'm not even going to comment on them yet, but when you charge $300 for a pair of jeans, you can afford some big talent.
- KBS/Medifast: Well, I'm not really sure how much bigger they're going, but adding the only fu man chu mustache in the pro peloton is huge in my book.

And then the reductions/disappearances:
- Discovery: dun.
- Navigators: RIP. 14 years is a good run.
- Kodak Gallery/Sierra Nevada: The squads are splitting, but they say that they still might have teams... I'll believe it when I see it.
- Jelly Belly: Just a few grumblings that they might be shrinking the squad even further. Let's hope that it's just grumblings. The Bean boys have always been fun underdogs to route for.
- HealthNet: A slightly smaller budget and a new director. The green machines will be getting a run for the money in '08.

So, with lots of riders losing jobs, the amateur scene is going to get pretty tough next year. Don't worry, we're getting ready.

[Thanks again to Rick for keeping me in the loop while I'm in the midst of my half-leave of absence]

No comments: