9.14.2007

Back in Chicago

I saw on the Velonews headlines that Christian VandeVelde's latest update is "Where am I?"... although I haven't been doing any bike riding, I know exactly how he feels. I went Chicago, LA, Chicago this past week... and never even spent a night in my own bed back at the apartment. The last time I did that was July 10th, and the next scheduled slumber in said bed won't be until October 23rd...

As I alluded to on 8/30, I've become the primary caretaker for my Grandmother, who decided to go off kidney dialysis on August 13th and is going strong. The past month with her and family has been truly amazing. She's such a selfless and gracious woman that being her caretaker is a pleasure. All the nurses that come by said they've never been thanked so much for just doing their job!

Of course, I'd be lying if I didn't say it's been a bit tiring. Most nights Grandma and I don't sleep much, and last week we had six consecutive days of three-hours sleep a night (although Grandma does a great job of watching TV with her eyes closed during the day!). I'm not so good at that trick as I've been working as much as I can, but that didn't leave much time for blogging or for riding the bike.

So, after four-weeks of being on duty 24/7, the rest of the family gave me four days off to go home and see Rosa. I played travel agent last Saturday to make a bunch of last minute arrangements, and flew out on Sunday. I went from Winfield to this...


....the 6 a.m. view from a place where we were both supposed to be house/teenager/dog-sitting. Now Rosa's tackling it solo. This shot is over the pool looking at the Santa Monica mountains to the south. On the other side of those is the mighty Pacific. It's pretty sweet, but the gig has been a challenge in it's own right. The dog was diagnosed with blood cancer 10 days before Mom&Dad were scheduled to fly to China for three weeks! After a few dodgy days the pooch is doing much better on some medication... but Rosa's a saint for taking care of everything so that I was able get back to Winfield last night.



And here I am, just in time for the Cubs to take the solo lead in the division. I keep trying not to care- you know they're just going to break my heart...

1 comment:

Rosa said...

Hardly a saint, but I do what I can for you.