8.05.2007

The August Crits Begin

The Chicago area is a great place to be in August if your a rider. Every weekend there are great races with good money within an hour of home. We can just throw a bike in the car (sans overnight bag), race hard, either eat at a favorite local restaurants or have a home-cooked meal in our actual homes... and then sleep in our own bed. Heck, there's even time to catch up on some household chores (or update a blog...)

After making it through about seven Superweek races my fitness is coming around enough that I can have a good time and make a little money in these local events. There's still the occasional tenderness where they cut me and a sharp stab when I do sit-ups, but it's all pretty manageable.

Yesterday at the Grayslake Cycling Classic I played the aggressive card off the line long enough for Jeff to get in a break of eight guys with one of our "not-quite teammates", and from then on my job was pretty easy. Little accelerations in a little gear to cover moves, and then trying to set-up the guys for the win. A crash on the back side of the course foiled our plans and a shot at the win, but it was still a pretty good day as Jeff finished 4th and I won a prime for a $80 bottle of Benziger 2004 Tribute.


Of course, with the Elgin Cycling Classic today I decided let the wine age at least one more day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You buried the lead. How was the wine?

Anonymous said...

Ugh, crashing. Let's not do that again. At least all your teammates didn't crash out on the first lap. I got to experience that yesterday. Not too much need to imbibe the wine after that one.

Ebert said...

haha...haven't tried the wine yet, Steve. I don't think I can enjoy it with this heat, but I'll drop a review once I open it up.