5.07.2007

The Lowdown: Something's Gotta Give...

....and in this case it was my lower abdominal wall. As in: I gave myself a hernia the Saturday before we left for Tour of Virginia. I tried to pass it off as some inexplicable lymph node inflammation that would pass -- but after a poor race performance, complete uncomfortability in the saddle, and no reduction in swelling, it was time to go to the doctor.

The solution, surgery. But that means up to a week of recovery, and my buddy Matt's wedding is in Austria this weekend and if I missed it I would never forgive myself. It would be the equivalent of missing a brother's wedding, and Rosa and I have planned one of our first real vacations around it.

So what does that mean for the hernia? (or "nernia" as Ben DeMong thinks I should call it)... well, it gets to go to the wedding too and will be dealt with the week of the Memorial Day holiday when I return. In the meantime, Rosa gets to carry all the luggage and my counterpart on the other side of the aisle (the maid of honor) will be responsible for all dips and tosses between us on the dancefloor. The recovery will take me into the Winfield Weekend, and then I should be back on the bike and right as rain. In total, I'll be off the bike for up to four weeks, but I've always come back from downtime pretty well so I'm really looking forward to Superweek.

One other bonus to the injury? More Blog-time, baby! Expect to see more regular updates here at "Ebert Checks In", which for the next 10 days will be "Ebert & Rosa Check In" from Munich, Salzburg and London! During my "off-the-bike" time I'm also going to be posting some dribble regarding training, the P-R-O's and some upcoming events.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: