6.26.2008

Called out... ok, I give.

Rick DeMoan called me out that my sorry excuse for a blog had gone from plain old boring to being worthy of an afternoon nap- which is where I rate watching golf (nothing put's my to sleep like watching people walk around a well-groomed lawn). That's ok, Rick, I deserve it (although if you'd called me out in the comments section at least it might have sparked some lively commentary). But I routinely violate the two rules of proper blogging: 1) stay focused and 2) update often, so here's the deal.

Normally I'll write about cycling, but the whole cycling thing ain't working out for me right now. As many of you know, life happens. Last season started out great, then came the hernia. I hobbled through the end of the season, then more important things came up through the Fall and Winter. Then just as I finally started hit my stride last month, the car accident. Whatever I did to my ribs kept me off the bike for about 3 weeks, but I started hiking. Then I decided to jog up and down the mountain on Sunday... and ripped apart my legs to the point I can hardly walk. Why is it that running down a mountain rips apart your legs like that?

So, here's where I'm at. All that time and energy that went into training? I'd like to think it's going into cognition: work, reading, writing- sorry, just not blog writing, and social commentary is definitely outside the scope of this blog (an article in the month's Atlantic, Is Google Making Us Stoopid? , confirmed my need to unplug a little more too). Cameron and I are also working on a few big projects right now, including a couple of books, so that's good.

So, until I start riding regularly again, or I have something entertaining to write, or I hear requests for a 29-year old's rambling about the good, bad and ugly life out here in L.A. ... I got nothing.

8 comments:

Robot said...

request! request! request! how else am i supposed to occupy my time between classes if i don't have your blog to read?

Anonymous said...

So who is this Rick DeMoan and when do we egg his house?

Anonymous said...

Michael's dad says,

There's no experience equal to holding printed text in your hands. Turning the pages wondering where the author is taking us next.

I'm just as guilty as the next person using the internet to quickly research items. Which is nice.

It just can't equal kicking back with a good book enjoying some alone time. Let your imagination go wild as your mind conjures up images from the text.

Ebert said...

Yeah! Let's hear it for the lit fans in cyberspace!

Anonymous said...

I said the blog about the book was a little sleepy. You have plenty of stories that entertain that don't involve lycra. You deal with papparazzi, stars and you have a new and exciting job. Use that for blog kindling. What blog will I read then?
RD

Anonymous said...

i just discovered this blog business around accident time-how else can i read about what brother is up to on a regular basis?? my favorite part was when rosa responded to our accident picture with saying how awesome our family is and can she join. most definitely yes!!!

Ebert said...

Rick D, thanks for making the appearance, and the vote of confidence... I'll keep posting, but be sure to keep the feedback coming, and keep it ruthless.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jodi-how else can we keep up with mike if he does not post on the blog.
I check in at least once a week because you have a great life with lots of new experiences and how many people can have that chance.

Looking forward to coming to AZ and CA this Fall and Christmas--
jvgram