5.31.2008

Well, that sucked....

So, I'm back in the Midwest to help with the Winfield Criterium
Weekend. Things are a little crazy running last-minute errands for the
race, when out of nowhere some 16 year old kid overcorrects a mistake
and takes a detour at a 45 degree angle into oncoming traffic... and I
happen to be oncoming traffic, driving back towards the bike shop at
about 45 miles per hour.

I audibly say "oh sh&%", and it wasn't until later that I realized I
considered three options (bike racers will identify with this post-
crash-recollection of your stream of consciousness), I can:
a) swerve to the right and hit him more head on
b) swerve to the left and hit an SUV in oncoming traffic
c) just stay the course.

I stick with (c) and it's unavoidable, loud, fast, expensive and a
little painful. I get a cut on my wrist and bruised ribs, my
counterpart gets a burn on his face from his airbag. Both cars get
totaled. But most importantly, we both had our seatbelts on, get out
of our cars, and walk away. (Although as you'll see from the pics
below I shudder to think if he'd had a passenger in the car.)

All my siblings happen to be home this weekend too from various
locations around the country, so when I call for someone to pick me
up, everyone comes along.... and Mom figures there couldn't be a
better time to get the Christmas Card photo. Sure, her car's totaled
(sorry Mom), but she's got all her kids home for a weekend and we're
alive and healthy.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the races go cleaner than this for you. Looked as if it could have been worse than it turned out to be.

ADIG said...

Glad to hear you are ok...looks like a rough one. Good luck with the races this year! I always had a great time in Winfield.

Rosa said...

this family is awesome! can i join?