4.07.2007

Cold Weather Thoughts

A rainy & windswept John Fraser Memorial TT was just the beginning. As everyone in the Midwest knows, this past Wednesday the deep freeze came in.
After two days off the bike I went to bed on Tuesday with plans for a long 4 hour ride on Wednesday, and the windows were cracked open a little bit after a somewhat humid day. Thus follows my re-adjustment to the bitter cold:

Wed, 7:14AM: Still in Bed. Did I just see my breath... inside?

7:21 AM: Look outside. you've got to be kidding me.

9:30 AM: Damn it's cold, time for another cup of coffee

12:00 PM: E-mail from Susan Peithman, she rode 4 hours inside... Oh hell no, I'm going out.

1:00 PM: Call from Farrell, "Ebert, you ride yet? It's 22 degrees and dropping..."
"Shutup Farrell, of course I'm riding, I'm just waiting for it to warm-up."
"Bulls&*#, you ain't riding"

2:30 PM: Still 5 hours of daylight left... alright, dig out the thermal gear.

3 PM: Roll out the door, neoprene-ed to the gills. Yeah, I'm tough. Headed to the Fox River Trail for a scenic ride and some shelter from the wind. 4 hours of Tempo so I stay warm.

3:01 PM: I'm crazy, this is the stupidest thing I've ever done.

3:02 PM: My PowerTap head doesn't even want to be out when it's this cold. It's all faded.

3:03 PM: I can't feel my hands. Actually, the wind is so bitter cold I can't feel anything.

3:04 PM: Susan really rode 4 hours on the trainer... must push on.

3:05 PM: How long does it take for frostbite to set in?

3:15 PM: Quick stop at PPC-Batavia to grab an extra pair of gloves that I know Mom has in her car. I won't make it long with my hands like this.

3:18 PM: Oh, that was the trick. An inch of neoprene and fleece on each finger and I'm golden.

3:45 PM: Reach down for a bottle: so that's what those Gatorade Slurpees at 7-11 taste like.

4:15 PM: My blood has finally warmed up after 75 minutes and is circulating to every part of my body. I'm even able to strip off an extra pair of gloves.

5 PM: East Dundee Coffee Shop, 2 hours in: Holy cow I'm hungry. If I sat down to eat a hot panini would I ever leave this place? Better just stick to decaf and a scone.

5:10 PM: Dang, blood stopped flowing to the fingers again.

5:20 PM: Ahh, thermal engine warmed up again, that wasn't so bad.

6 PM: 3 hour mark, granted, I'm pretty toasty and cruising along nicely, but who's really crazier, Susan or me?

I got my long ride in, and then after heading up to my Dad's place in rural Wisconsin, did another 2.5 hours in 28 degrees and 25mph winds on Thursday.
Oh, but how the cold sucks it out of you. During Thursday's ride I found myself comparing the effort to 2 & 3 hour ski workouts I've done. As long as I keep moving I'm fine, but if I let up just a hair the cold sets in fast and regardless, I am one tired dog at the end of the day. Thursday night I was in bed before 10PM, the first time I've done that in months. Then when I tried to do some intensity on the Computrainer Friday I started out strong and I was stoked about the numbers... but then I hit the wall about 30 minutes in.... oh well.

This morning? Woke up to snow. At least it will keep me from trying to be a tough guy.

Have a great Easter.



No comments: